C.1880’s cabinet card view showing the Confederate cemetery located at Johnson’s Island, Ohio. The prison at Johnson’s Island was mainly used to house Confederate officers captured during the war. Approximately 300 men would die while imprisoned here. This view shows several rows of the headstones located there mixed in among the trees. The cemetery looks nothing like this today. The trees have all been cleared and it now remains as a well cared for resting place for these men. This example measures 8″ x 5″ and does have a bit of mouse damage along the right side as can be seen. A period ink inscription on the reverse reads “Rebel Burial Ground Johnsons Isl. O.”. This one is blind stamped on the front by C.W. Platt who operated a studio across the bay in Sandusky, Ohio.